background

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Latest DIY Projects!!

Since I have a "house" now, I have had so much fun decorating, making things and finding things to make!
I found a piece of furniture online and Clay built it for me!
His hobby is building so I am finding lots of things for him to do.
 
 Both Grayson and Kennedy helped me paint it! 
Let me tell you, this is my first project that involves painting and it was the most time consuming, tedious thing ever.
I understand why people spray paint now and I will definitely take that route next time and see how it goes!
 This is Grayson at his best!!  LOL
 This is it!!  What do you think?
 What I did!!
I painted it cream(that step was unnecessary)
then I painted it a teal color, I streaked the cream paint mixed with water over the whole thing, I took some sand paper and distressed the edges, then I took some polyurethane/stain mixed and went over the whole piece, which turned it a darker teal!


 
 
 
 
 
Here is a closer shot of the distressed edges.
 
 We bought the baskets half off at Hobby Lobby.
We are going to put some hooks to hang coats and backpacks on.
I have to find some deeper baskets for the bottom shelf, maybe to put shoes in!  Clay build drawers for the 3 cubbys but they were sooo heavy that I am not going to use them.
 I had this little nook that we built this furniture specifically for!
I love the way it turned out.  I had no clue what I was doing but I love the "old" look it has and I am quiet proud of myself!
 
 FALL, FALL, FALL!!!
I love decorating my house!
It has been so much fun having room to do things and not being cluttered!
 This is my Mantle, I made the "spooky" banner after my friend Marji...of coarse she has a silhouette and I don't...YET!
Sooo...I had to improvise and used stencils and paint for the letters and I had to hand cut everything!
I still don't have my big family pic above my mantle.  I can't wait to get that space filled!
 This wreath is another copy from Marji, she is a great crafter!
Lots of my Arkansas friends are great crafters.
I put my own twist on it but the original idea was from her. 
I have double front doors so I had to do 2 wreaths.
I have a neighbor that wanted to make one too so we did them together.  She reminds me of myself 2 yrs ago when I was non-crafty(if that's even a word)...she thinks I am the craftiest person around and I know that makes my "girls" laugh!!  :-)
Isn't this little witch hat the cutest?  I love it!

3 comments:

  1. Wow I am impressed too AWESOME job on the corner backpack storage project! That turned out supper cute! I love how you decorated for Fall! I am also impressed that you are crafting more...I think I hit a dry spell and haven't really been in the mood, or should I say I am just too tired and lazy right now...But I have to say you motivated me to start thinking about it again! GOOD JOB, your projects turned out so cute! It does help a TON that your hubby is "willing" to and wants to build things...seriously THAT alone is so handy! Good job you guys pretty soon you will have to give us all a tour of your house again of all the cute things you have done to make it your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what clay built and how you painted it, way to go! It looks awesome :) Your banner looks great too :) I love all your fall decor, it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I just wish I could have craft night again with my AR friends. Those were the best. Miss yall!

    ReplyDelete